27 September 2008

i'm a genius!

i've just updated my itunes software so that i now have itunes 8.0. how much do i love the new genius feature? (the answer is SO MUCH). i can now have my computer pick out all my early 90s angsty music in seconds, by simply clicking on just one angsty song. right now i'm definitely swaying to some mazzy star. it all reminds me of 8th grade homeroom. i'm not really sure why.

but when i think of 8th grade homeroom that reminds me of the time that i got a black eye (in that very classroom, which was also my social studies classroom) on valentines day. i was walking to class and someone was leaving another classroom and the door opened out and flew into my face. my homeroom was in a building where the classrooms opened to the outside, not to an indoor hallway. so the doors were heavy. this means the door actually hurt pretty badly when it HIT MY FACE.

seriously. who does this happen to? on valentines day. thinking back, i don't even really understand the physics of how a big all-weather door can actually hit someone in the face, rather than the shoulder or leg. but it happened to me. when i was 12. like i wasn't lame enough anyway. i was already that geeky new girl with bushy eyebrows and bad hair. i hadn't thought of that incident in probably 8 years. it's refreshing to realize that my awkwardness isn't a new thing, it's something i've perfected over the course of my ENTIRE LIFE.

hee.

ps--i know i'm a social studies teacher, but i found the debate yesterday kinda dull. i watched it while on a work retreat, so maybe the combination of friday night sleepiness, a long day of school stuff, a bus full of alcohol, cheese-its and sour patch kids impacted my ability to focus. be glad i'm not teaching your kids.

No comments: