08 February 2009

Circle of Friends

Remember the movie with Minnie Driver and mid 90s heartthrob Chris O'Donnell? Where you're supposed to believe that Minnie is "chubby" (sure), and that Colin Firth is having an illicit affair with a younger woman (who in reality would have been running away from that creepy-man moustache)? It's a great movie.

But that's not the topic of today's post. No, the topic is actually my circle of friends. So far, none have been sneaking away to a friend's parents' summer cottage to get inappropriate with a snobby older man (at least that I know of). However, they have been throwing excellent gatherings and spending lots of quality time with Ms. F. For which I am thankful!

This weekend I had 4 different friend gatherings to attend. For someone like me--left to my own devices I would just stay in my PJs eating peanut butter and licorice while watching old episodes of Top Chef on Bravo all weekend--the task of more than 2 weekend functions is slightly overwhelming just to think about. But rest assured, my weekend was awesome. It even inspired me to complete one more outing tonight (unheard of Sunday night fun will hopefully stave off the Sunday night dread that came with my decision to become a teacher)!

To those of you who I got a chance to hang out with this weekend--I send you my most sincere and platonic besos (I'm working on my ability to show affection remember?). From the numerous beverages consumed before 6pm on Friday, to the realization that I have a secret twin living in New Rochelle on Saturday, my weekend was poppin.

And to top it all off--and prove that I am making 2009 my year for self-improvement--I performed (horribly, mind you) my very first ever karaoke song Saturday. I was a background singer going by a fake name to protect my integrity. And I was horrible. And so nervous that I clutched at my purse and wanted to run away the whole time. But I didn't (probably to the chagrin of the audience).

Most random event of the weekend? Posing for a picture with a storm trooper (a la Star Wars). Quite fitting considering that storm troopers were the main characters in my most terrifying recurring childhood dream.

1 comment:

Dava said...

I'm glad that your weekend was so spectacular. For the record, your New Roc twin has never performed Karaoke, so you're one step ahead. I had a great time Saturday. We need to do that more often. Next time, solo en Espanol.